Apple has some of the best products in the world. They have world-class hardware: Macintosh computers, iPod, iPhone, AppleTV; and world-class software: Mac OS X, OS X, iTunes, iLife, Final Cut Studio, Safari, etc. However, there are improvements I would like to see to their product line.
Here are 5 improvements I hope they make:
- iChat Everywhere.
- iChat for iPhone & iPod Touch. iChat should be everywhere. It is the killer app. I know Apple has a deal with AT&T for iPhones, but the AT&T data plan is unlimited. This would get more people buy iPhones. iChat can be the dominant AV instant messenger, beating out: Skype, Yahoo IM, MSN Messenger, AOL Messenger, Google Talk, etc.
- New iSight cameras. These could be used for the giant Apple Displays and for Apple TV. Why not have the ability for audio/video conferencing on your big display or TV? Makes sense doesn’t it? Make it smaller than the old iSight cameras and in high-definition (HD), please.
- iChat setup and configuration automatic. Skype can tunnel through firewalls, why can’t iChat? The configuration is often complex and cumbersome behind firewalls. No opening ports, no fiddling with configurations, etc. – “it just works.”
- Mac OS X full screen windows. When I click the plus button, I would like to the window to fill up the screen, just like my Microsoft Windows applications do. I don’t mind if I have to toggle between minimal, medium, and full-screen window, as long as I can auto full-screen it.
- Mac OS X rids of mounting and dismounting drives. Why can’t this be transparent to the user? Plug-in a drive, remove a drive, no problem.
- iTunes video content in 1080p. iTunes currently has video at 480p and some at 720p. Offer 1080p for those that want it. It may cost a little more, but Apple is known as a cutting edge company. Why have TVs capable of 1080p and then viewing content at lower resolution? Apple can make the Blu-Ray and HD DVD debate irrelevant by offering 1080p on iTunes.