Reverse Product Placement is where a fictional product, such as in a movie or video game, becomes a real-world product. There is an amazing amount of wealth, left untapped, in many fictional brands. Smart marketing executives are discovering that they can generate additional revenue by capitalizing on products that were made famous in a fictional world by making them real.
Existing Reverse Product Placements
- Final Fantasy Games – Potion Drink
- Forrest Gump – Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
- Harry Potter – Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans
- Office Space – Red Swingline Staplers
- The Simpsons – Kwik-E-Marts (rebranded 7-Eleven stores)
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory – Willy Wonka Candy
Possible Reverse Product Placements
- Office Space – Hawaiian Shirts
- The Office – Dunder Mifflin paper (see explanation here)
- The Simpsons – Duff Beer
Can you think of any more possibilities?